Frequently asked questions

Does the policy cover me for rent and damage to the property?

Yes, the policy provides cover for both unpaid rent and any damages caused by the tenants, subject to the terms and conditions and limits contained in the policy wording.

What is the maximum amount of cover available under the policy?

Currently the maximum level of cover under the policy is £25,000 in total, which can be claimed for either unpaid rent or damages, or a combination of both.

Is there a maximum amount of monthly rent that is covered?

Yes, the policy can provide cover for properties with a monthly rental amount of up to £4,000.

What is joint and several liability?

Guarantors who enter into a contract with joint and several liability are each liable to perform the whole contract on their own. That is to say, you are not just liable for your own student’s share, you are liable for the entire tenancy and all of the tenants (students) performance. Should a tenant fail to pay the rent, the landlord could choose to pursue all of the guarantors to recover this, or just one of you.

How can I buy a policy?

The policy is available to buy through our website:

What details do I need to have to hand to complete the application forms?

You will need to be able to provide information on the following: the property that is to be rented, the landlord or managing agent that is letting the property, the student, their course and the university they are studying at.

When will I receive the policy documents?

All the policy documents will be emailed to you as soon as your payment has been received.

How can I find out if I am jointly and severally liable?

It is very important to read all the documentation relating to the tenancy that the landlord or managing agent provide you with, this will include the tenancy agreement and the guarantor agreement that you are asked to sign. If you are to be jointly and severally liable there will be a clause within the tenancy agreement to confirm this. Most tenancy agreements do hold the tenants and guarantors jointly and severally liable.

Do I need to have been referenced before I take out a policy?

No, you do not need to have been referenced by the landlord or managing agent, we will however ask you to confirm that you are able to cover your student’s nominal share of the monthly rental amount.

Does the policy cover the property or the guarantor?

The policy covers the guarantor taking out our insurance, in relation to the student they are guaranteeing.

Can more than one guarantor take out the cover?

Yes, the policy is available to student guarantors on an individual basis.

Do all the guarantors need to take out a policy?

No, the policy protects individual student guarantors so it can be taken out by just one guarantor or by all of the guarantors.

Do all the students in the property need to be in full time education?

Yes, all students on the tenancy agreement must be in full time education.

Can I take out cover if I am guaranteeing more than one student?

Yes, but you will need to take out a policy for each student that you are guaranteeing.

Can I take out the guarantor insurance if the landlord/managing agent does not require a security deposit?

Unfortunately not, it is a condition of the policy that a security deposit is paid or that the premium of an equivalent deposit replacement scheme is paid.

When should I take out the guarantor insurance?

The policy can be taken out any time between the tenancy agreement start date and up to 90 days after the tenancy began, as long as no claims situations have arisen, such as a tenant paying the rent late.

Is the policy only available for student guarantors?

Yes, at the moment we are only able to offer this cover for student guarantors.